Document Authentication

Once you’ve accepted a teaching position in China or South Korea, the first thing you must do in order to obtain your Z visa (China) or your E2 visa (Korea) is get certain documents authenticated in your home country.

We’ve written two visa guides, both of which explain the entire process involved when applying for either a Chinese Z visa or a Korean E2 visa.

Chinese Z Visa Guide
Korean E2 Visa Guide

Required Documents

These are the documents that you’ll need to begin either visa process:

Bachelor’s Degree – You’ll need your physical bachelor’s degree certificate.

TEFL Certificate – You’ll need to have a minimum 120 hour TEFL certificate.

Criminal Record Check – You’ll need to obtain a criminal record check. Depending on whereabouts you are from these can have different names, such as DBS Check (UK) or FBI Check (USA) etc.

Which country you’ve accepted a teaching position in will determine what type of authentications are required on these documents.

If you’ve accepted a teaching position in China, then to begin the process of obtaining your visa, all three documents need to be:

  • Notarised by a notary public
  • Authenticated with an apostille 
  • Stamped at the Chinese embassy

Whereas, if you’ve accepted a teaching position in South Korea, there is no embassy stamp involved and your documents will only need to be:

  • Notarised by a notary public
  • Authenticated with an apostille 

Authentication Process

There are two ways in which you can go about getting your documents authenticated. The first way is for you to do each authentication step individually by yourself. This involves finding a notary public to do the notarisation, then sending your documents off for the apostille, and finally (if you’re going to China) booking an appointment at your nearest Chinese embassy to get all three documents stamped. This method of authenticating your documents is hugely time-consuming, and we would not recommend doing it this way!

The alternative method, that we at Teach English Global would strongly recommend, is to use the help of a Visa Agency that will take care of the entire document authentication process for you! With this method, the only thing that will be required of you is that you reach out to an agency explaining what assistance you need, and then post your documents to them so that they can start the process. Using a visa agency will save you an incredible amount of time, which will ultimately lead to you departing for China or South Korea a lot sooner than if you try to authenticate your documents alone!

Visa Agencies

Teach English Global have partnered up with three brilliant visa agencies that we would strongly recommend to any teacher who requires assistance with their document authentication.

For all UK based teachers who need assistance with their document authentication, we highly recommend that you use the services of Mandarin Visa! They offer a reliable, efficient and rapid document authentication service that is unmatched throughout the UK. In addition, due to the extremely close partnership they have with the Chinese Embassy in London and the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre, they can assist any Chinese bound teachers with their official visa application when the time comes.

Authenticate Your Documents With Mandarin Visa!

For all teachers based in The USA, we would without hesitation recommend using Teaching Nomad! They’re a brilliant agency, that offers a reliable and comprehensive document authentication service. They make a somewhat complicated process seem extremely straightforward, thanks to the constant guidance that their team provides from start to finish!

Authenticate Your Documents With Teaching Nomad!